(Originally appeared on July 25, 2011 at WRALSportsFan.com)
The Carl Edwards Sweepstakes has begun to turn into Carl Edwards Mania.
Seemingly every day we hear a new rumor about where Edwards, the most coveted free agent at season's end, may be going for 2012.
Let's list the various scenarios I've heard over the last three weeks or so:
* He's heading to Joe Gibbs Racing - the most talked about rumor.
* He's staying at Roush Fenway Racing - which seems to be less likely with each day he remains undecided about his plans.
* He's going to be part of a third team at Stewart Haas Racing - with lots of rumored help from Rick Hendrick.
* He's going to be part of a third team at Penske Racing - he'll have to bury the hatchet with Brad Keselowski first.
* He's going to start his own team - rumored to be part of an investment group that may purchase the assets of Red Bull Racing, which is due to fold at season's end.
* He's going to race for Dale Earnhardt Jr. - rumor spreading with significant help from Rick Hendrick, as JR Motorsports moves to the Cup level.
* He's going to race for Kevin Harvick Inc. - rumor spreading with significant help from Richard Childress Racing as KHI moves to the Cup level.
* He's going to replace Jeff Burton at RCR, with Burton slated to go to another team affiliated with RCR (perhaps Earnhardt Ganassi Racing).
* He's going to buy a minority share of, and race for, Richard Petty Motorsports - keeping the Ford connection.
* He's going to drive a third car for Michael Waltrip Racing.
* He's going to be like singer Cat Stevens: he'll retire, convert to Islam, live in a cave near Columbia, Mo., and be forever known from this day forth as Yusef Muhammad Obama Momma.
To continue reading, click here: